Monday, July 20, 2009

Parvo..


Yesterday Grizz, Russ and I went to Silver Lake with Aub and Tinkerbell (My Grandmas Dog)
When We got up there and Grizz was just hanging out under the chair barking at all the big dogs. He played in the water a little, but mostly he just laid there and slept. When we got home I gave him a bath. After he dried off he just laid on the couch and fell asleep. I just thought he is a puppy and puppies sleep alot but usually he wants to play before bed so I got a little worried. He sleeps at the foot of our bed on his blanket and when I put him in there he didn't even open his eyes but he moaned a little and acted like he couldn't get comfortable. Around 11:50 I heard him throwing up thats when I knew it was parvo.. He ate a little food and drank some water I made him a bed on the bathroom floor by his food bowl and he didn't throw up the rest of the night.

Russ took him to the vet this morning and sure enough I was right. They said that we are very lucky that we caught it before it was too bad and that they wanted to keep him there for 3 to 5 days just to make sure he stays hydrated and to start antibiotics. I was a mess when Russ called me and told me I was just thinking about all of the bad things I have heard about parvo and I couldn't imagine him feeling that sick. I think everyone thought I was taking it a little too hard but he is like my little baby I fell so much in love with that little guy the minute I got him and Russ even cried when he found out.. Grizz is a fighter and I know he will make it. If he can survive the first week of his little life out in the sage brush with no food or water he can beat this!


I called the vet around 2:30 to check on him and she said he was doing good and that he was still hooked up to the I.V. I could hear him raising hell in the background(He thinks he is a big tuff dog) She said that he was the "Feistiest cutest puppy" that she has ever seen! That's my boy:) They called later on this evening and told Russ they gave him water and he has kept that down if he can keep food down tomorrow then he can come home Wednesday. I hope he gets better because I cant wait to see him!


5 comments:

Holly said...

Oh, poor Grizz! I hope he does get better. He is a little fighter to survive Parvo!

Madalyn said...

o that's sad.... I've never even heard of parvo

MJHTJH said...

Yay Grizz keep it up boy you'll pull through, his name is Grizz, Hello..................

BiLlY, sAm, AnD bOyS!!! said...

So sorry! We had a dog with parvo and it sucked. He survived after 5 days in the pet hospital and $1200 later (bill just bought him then 3 days later he was in the hospital) but they ARE your babies- what else are you supposed to do? Hope he gets better soon!

Jeff and Lacy said...

My poor little nephew! I hope he starts feeling better soon! I love that picture of the three of you!